CHRIC LAUNCHES “HOMEOWNERSHIP IN THE CITY OF DUNKIRK” FIRST TIME HOMEBUYERS PROGRAM
City of Dunkirk, The Chautauqua Home Rehabilitation & Improvement Corporation (CHRIC) has launched “Homeownership in the City of Dunkirk” First Time Homebuyers Program. Making you a homeowner is our business,” said Mayra Alvarado, Homeownership Program Manager of CHRIC.
The Dunkirk homebuyer program is sponsored by the City of Dunkirk and the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development’s Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG) with support from Lake Shore Savings Bank, M & T Bank, Northwest Savings Bank, Community Bank, Bank of America and USDA.
The City of Dunkirk has set aside CDBG funding to help eight low and moderate income families purchase homes within the city. Households meeting eligibility and program guidelines can receive up to $4,000 in CDBG money for Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance when purchasing a home in the city.
CHRIC offers a series of homeownership classes each spring and fall which total about 8 hours. CHRIC will access each adult family member’s credit report and review it with the family.
“Families are expected to meet with CHRIC staff one-on-one to correct credit where possible and develop strategies to obtain appropriate mortgage financing,” said Alvarado.
To be eligible for the homeownership program, you must be:
- A first-time homebuyer.
- A person or family whose income is below 80% of the area median income (for example, $37,120 for one person; $42,400 for a family of two; $47,680 for a family of three and $52,960 for a family of four).
- Persons or families meeting affordable mortgage lending standards after completing the program.
- Complete CHRIC’s First Time Homebuyer Class to be offered in 2 different locations for a cost of $50 per person:
- Mayville – Saturday, October 19, 2019 in English, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, located at the CHRIC Office, 2 Academy St., Mayville, NY 14757
- Dunkirk – Saturday, November 16, 2019, in English, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Saturday, December 14, 2019, in Spanish, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm located at The Fredonia Incubator, 214 Central Ave., Dunkirk , NY 14048
The Course can also be completed online by visiting: http://www.eHomeAmerica.org/chric, for a cost of $100 per person.
Participants in CHRIC’s homeownership program will also learn: budgeting for ownership, including down payment and closing costs; and how to clear up past credit difficulties. They will also be introduced to realtors, attorneys and lenders to learn each one’s role in the home-buying process; and will be linked to affordable mortgage products.
“Homeownership is what the vast majority of Americans want to achieve,” said Mayra Alvarado, CHRIC Homeownership Program Manager. CHRIC’s Homeownership Education Program is designed to assist first time homebuyers in becoming mortgage-ready. The classes are offered in both English and Spanish.
More information is available for the “Homeownership in the City of Dunkirk” First Time Homebuyer Program by calling Mayra Alvarado at the toll-free number: 716-363-4180 or you may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHRIC is a non-profit housing organization who has been improving Chautauqua County’s Housing since 1978. As a chartered NeighborWork® organization, we provide leadership in strengthening communities and creating affordable housing opportunities for low and moderate income families.